If you are carrying out any construction works, you must notify us by sending us a Commencement Notice. It must reach us between 14 and 28 days before you start construction on site, and it must be accompanied by the correct fee. The current fee for a commencement notice is €30 per building.
You need a commencement notice if you are:-
- Constructing a building
- Making a Material alteration to a building
- Extending a building
- Materially changing the use of a building
- Carrying out any works in connection with the material alteration of a shop, office or industrial building.
You do not need to send in a commencement notice if:
- the work is exempted development under the Local Government (Planning and Development) Acts, 1963 to 2000 and
- It does not require a Fire Safety Certificate
This exemption does not apply to work in connection with the material alteration of a shop, office or industrial building. In these cases, you must send in a commencement notice regardless of whether or not the works require a Fire Safety Certificate